[Icecast] add AAC+ file header to new streams

Ross Levis ross at stationplaylist.com
Thu Jun 12 10:37:55 UTC 2008

Hi all.

I believe there is an opportunity to have thousands of Shoutcast servers
replaced with Icecast.

What will do this is if Icecast can send a MPEG-4 AAC+ header as the first
data a player receives when connecting to an audio/aacp stream.

The reason for this is the AAC+ support added to Adobe Flash player last
December.  I could hear a loud sigh of relief each around the world when
this was announced.  There are literally thousands of internet stations
wanting to use AAC+ embedded in their websites.

However, it turns out that Flash requires a normal AAC+ file header before
it will decode the audio.  I believe it's own Flash Media Server provides
this, but people are not going to spend $1000 on it.

So the question is, can Icecast be configured to send some initial bytes
when a listener connects?  Even if a header was extracted and placed into a
file?

Thanks,
Ross.