[Icecast] Can icecast stream a file from disk?

Thomas B. Ruecker dm8tbr at afthd.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Jun 4 10:25:49 UTC 2008

H. Wade Minter schrieb:
> I'm in a situation where I have some MP3 files I'd like to stream on-
> demand, but for various reasons can't just make the MP3 files
> themselves available.
>
> Is there a way, using icecast, to set up a server that would just bind
> to a port, and stream one file as specified in the config file, then
> stop?  So somewhere in the icecast.xml, I'd like to say "File: /tmp/
> myfile.mp3", and then just have the server start playing that.

Icecast is not very good at on-demand streaming. It will serve files and
apply some throttling to the throughput but it will be still more or
less a ordinary download.
When streaming mp3 you can't prevent a user dumping the stream and thus
gaining the original file. The only thing you can do is to make it take
longer by delivering it as a stream with a bitrate needed for real-time
playback.

Thomas