[Icecast] Icecast segmentation faults

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Mon Feb 11 14:59:27 UTC 2008

chiapas at aktivix.org wrote:

> Stream Title:	Radio FM
> Stream Description:	Radio FM
> Bitrate:	32
> Stream Listeners:	0
> Stream Genre:	Various
> Stream URL:	http://path.to.my.server:8000/radiofm.mp3
> Current Song:	.....
> Listen:	Click to Listen
>
> The stream plays fine but the song title is obviously borked.

unless Prince is having trouble again :)

> I have only recently switched to this new server setup (FC8,
> 2.6.23.9-85.fc8) and my previous instance of Icecast was not
> vulnerable to this problem - could this be something like I don't have
> Unicode/UTF8 installed?

no, with 2.3.1, there was no modification to the actual string content.
What you are seeing is either sent incorrectly or something in the
server corrupted memory.

The change in system can expose issues that have been missed, change in
hardware could expose possible race cases.

> As my previous Icecast installation was not vulnerable to this issue,
> I think there must be something that can be done server side to
> accommodate this webcaster who is sending us this 'broken' metadata.

Can you try out the trunk code?, a source tarball is available at
http://people.xiph.org/~brendan/snapshots/icecast/   build with make
debug and run with catchsegv if it still shows the problem.

karl.