[Icecast] What's best practice for serving multiple formats from a remote icecast server?

Geoff Shang Geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Tue Oct 30 04:16:11 PDT 2007

John Hicks wrote:

> So the simplest solution (I figger) would be to run a source client on the
> server that can subscribe to the ogg stream, decode and reencode it into the
> desired additional formats, and then feed them back to additional mount
> points on icecast.
> Does that pass the sanity test?

Yes it does.

My recommendation is streamTranscoder V3.

In my experience, it is more stable than the 1.x series and you can output
multiple streams for the one input source.

It is a bit cryptic to set up as there appears to be no documentation.
However, I posted setup instructions to this list which will hopefully be
helpful.  http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast/2006-February/010295.html

I use it regularly in a production environment, so am happy to answer any