[Icecast] What's best practice for serving multiple formats from a remote icecast server?

Geoff Shang Geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Tue Oct 30 11:16:11 UTC 2007

John Hicks wrote:

> So the simplest solution (I figger) would be to run a source client on the
> server that can subscribe to the ogg stream, decode and reencode it into the
> desired additional formats, and then feed them back to additional mount
> points on icecast.
>
> Does that pass the sanity test?

Yes it does.

My recommendation is streamTranscoder V3.
http://www.oddsock.org/tools/streamTranscoderV3

In my experience, it is more stable than the 1.x series and you can output
multiple streams for the one input source.

It is a bit cryptic to set up as there appears to be no documentation.
However, I posted setup instructions to this list which will hopefully be
helpful.  http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast/2006-February/010295.html

I use it regularly in a production environment, so am happy to answer any
questions.

Geoff.