[Icecast] Live Streaming and embeding into webpage on OSX

Thomas B. Ruecker dm8tbr at afthd.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat Oct 20 07:34:32 UTC 2007

Marc Manthey schrieb:
> hello free streamers,
>
> after i had not much luck with " Darwin streaming server" ( because of
> a lack of NAT implementation )
>
> i got a hint from a Wireless mailing list to try OGG/Theora streaming.
>
> I ´ve found a great site here <http://www.oddsock.org/guides/video.php>
>
> and downloadet and installed "icecast" and the theora libs with
> success on my macintosh mini ,
> after i want to go forward i have some questions ,
> because i am not that experienced with commandline stuff and compiling
> , but i am willing to learn. :-P
>
> My goal is i want to install a " live video streaming server " on one
> of my macintosh with OSX behind a NAT
There is no way around this: you will have to forward one TCP port from
the NAT-box to the box where icecast is running. Usually this is not a
problem if you have access to the NAT box configuration.
> Then i want to embed the stream into a webpage with the "cortado java
> plugin" <http://www.flumotion.net/cortado/>.
I'm not sure if this works with icecast but chances are it does.
> Is there a way to capture video from a camera or build in tv card and
> use it as a source ? Are there any people on macintosh that have done
> this with success ?
Didn't try this on OSX. You might want to check if VLC can capture those
sources on OSX. If it does you're almost there. Either you can use vlc
to stream that to icecast or find a different tool that grabs those sources.
> i dont know what i can do with this line
>
> > % grabfromwebcam | ffmpeg2theora - -o /dev/stdout | ezstream -c
> ezstream_stdin.xml
I guess "grabfromwebcam" means you are supposed to find an commandline
application that can capture your source and feed it into a pipe towards
ffmpeg2theora.

hth

Thomas

PS: You could also try and join #icecast on the freenode IRC network.