[Icecast] Re: [Icecast-dev] Re: How to obtain a stream

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Sat Jun 30 06:03:47 UTC 2007

(replying only to user list)

After doing a bit of research, I'm going to assume you're using Windows
since Raduga only runs on Windows.

For the benefit of everybody else, a bit of googling revealed that Raduga is
a commercial radio automation package that runs under Windows using DirectX.
I'm glad to see that it has Ogg support (presumably Vorbis).  It doesn't
appear to support streaming natively.

Assuming all of the above is correct, you will need another piece of
software to encode your audio as a stream and send it to Icecast.  There are
several which can do the job.  I personally recommend Oddcast from
www.oddsock.org.  I recommend the standalone version as you aren't using
Winamp or Foobar to play your music.

You will need to configure your soundcard to record the audio it plays.  How
exactly you will do this will depend a bit on your soundcard.  Most cards
allow you to do this in software these days.

Go into Volume Control.  Go to Properties and select your soundcard and
"Adjust Volume for Recording".  Have a look at the list of available
channels and find one that has a name something like "Stereo Mix" or "Wave".
Make sure it is checked in the Properties dialog.  Click OK and then make
sure that the "Select" checkbox next to the channel you just located is
checked, and that the slider is set to a moderate level (you may need to
fiddle with this slider position in order to get a good volume level on your
stream).

If for some reason there is no channel for capturing the card output, you
may need to use a cable and connect the output of your card to the line in
of your card.  If you need to do this, and you shouldn't nowadays, be *very*
careful that Line is muted in the playback settings of Volume control,
otherwise you'll get a very nasty feedback loop.

Now you can go into Oddcast and configure it to work with Icecast.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Geoff.