[Icecast] YP Services - Trying to read what Icecast Server Sends

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Fri Aug 24 19:34:56 UTC 2007

dan at x-7.com wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have a question dealing with the YP Directory Services...A couple, actually.
>
> 1)  Does the YP Server Send updated song information regarding each mount at the same time, or near the same time that the metadata is updated from the broadcast client?  (Begs the question if i need the 'touch' services setup to run on the broadcast client)

near the time the metadata is received from the source, or every so many
  seconds, whichever happens sooner.

> 2)  If it's not an 'on change event' how often is the data updated to the yp server?

The automatic update interval can be returned to icecast after each
request (originally it was only the add). It is directory server
specific so whoever runs the service can decide.

> 3)  What is a sure-fire way to make sure that the data is being sent from the icecast server to the YP service?

personally I would use a packet sniffer

> I read the link on icecast regarding YP services, and I setup a page in VB/ASPX that will read all the querystrings from a url (httprequest.querystring.count...set to instance...blah blah blah..  it reads all the url variables like "&x=servername&y=nooflisteners"  etc.. that should be trailing on the end of a yp request)  And while it works when i test the actual document, and the strings get written to an actual file on my drive...  when the webpage is called from icecast, i can see that the page is called, but there is no data that is received/sent.

The information is passed via POST not GET if that matters.

karl