[Icecast] Icecast2 Server Load tests

David Saunders abitar.com at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 14:51:04 UTC 2007

Hey,

  I have done massive testing on our ervers to see how much bandwith
we can really handle..  The server them selfs work very well, we run 4
linux boxes for out streaming. Each on there own cable line who clame
10/2. MB

We use voice quality strems 24k mono streams..  We can get about
110-120  streams goign from the servers before they start deniing
access..  We decied to trhodle the main server at 80 clients and the
slaves at 100.  and useing a balancing program i delveloped to force
the redirect before it get to the server.  (I found some players did
not follow the slave chain reliable enough).  So i wrote a routing
program that did a load balancing act o nll the servers.

How I ran the test was using a a http get to to streams and dumped
them to the bit bucket.  And I monitored the bandwith from them the
server, the server report  about 1.8MB xfer rate at the time the
cable/modem/router started to balk on us.

Honestly only way you can know the real bandwidth is to test it. I
found out a T1 that we were going to get was not really a T1 but a
fractal one, and when we cmplained they said they could not do
anyhitng about it so we droped them.

I have foudn the icecast server to be a solid server for audio
streaming. We currently dabbing into video streaming and the court is
still out of that..

David