[Icecast] Strange occurrence

Dick Trump dtrump1 at triadav.com
Thu Sep 7 13:50:12 UTC 2006

I had something happen the other night that I just can't explain.  It may not be an Icecast issue at all, but I thought it was interesting enough to post.

I have a private stream with 6 mountpoints, all receiving the same 32 kbps mp3 stream from Simplecast.  Both Simplecast & Icecast are running on the same Win2k system.  The configuration allows me to track the comings and goings of individual client machines.

Five of the mountpoints each have Linux clients running a script that automatically reconnects them if the stream is lost for some reason.  Several of these have run for over a year without any intervention.  Reconnections happen regularly for various reasons but are virtually 100% reliable in reconnecting.  One of the clients is a monitor system running the same LAN as the server.  All other clients are distributed among other ISP connections across my state.

The 6th mount point has 3 clients, 2 of which are using WinAmp with a custom program that I wrote that also automatically reconnects the client if the connection is lost.  I'm unsure of the client software on the 3rd machine.  I suspect it is WMP.  It does not reconnect reliably.

Here's the mystery:

At 4:00am Monday morning, all Linux clients, including the one on the LAN dropped out within a minute of each other for about 10 minutes.  Each of them reconnected as expected, all within a minute of each other.

The three Windows clients played through this period with no interruption.  Go figure!

In monitoring this system for a year and a half, I have never seen anything like it.

I don't really expect anybody to be able to explain this, but thought I'd post it just in case.

--
Dick
dtrump1 at triadav.com