[Icecast] Metadata in non UTF-8 encoding support (patch)

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Mon Oct 23 15:34:36 UTC 2006

On 10/23/06, Andrew N. Below <defan at zenon.net> wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> http://defan.zenon.net/freebsd/patch-icecast2-encoding
>
> This patch allows icecast to encode metadata from
> specified charset to UTF-8 for stats output and
> using different charset for log output.

This sounds somewhat like the wrong approach to me.

The metadata should be transformed to UTF-8 on input, so it's stored
internally to icecast ONLY as UTF-8. This would be better done as a
mountpoint-specific option, as it's not something that I'd expect to
be the same across all mountpoints.

Using a different charset for logging sounds... strange. Why not just
always log in UTF-8, consistently?

That said, some solution for this problem would be nice.

Mike