[Icecast] How do I list in YP? icecast2 ices0

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Tue Oct 3 01:22:21 UTC 2006

it was fixed a long time ago actually.  The current YP is now benefitting
from the changes made by me (with help from Karl), and yet despite the
requests from both Karl and I recommending that these streams be allowed
again, it falls on deaf ears.  Ultimately it's up to Xiph to decide,
although I was hoping that when the objection "it performs badly so we
turned off all non-vorbis streams" was made, and the "performs badly" part
was fixed, that the decision would be made to return non-vorbis streams.
Instead, I've gotten nothing but silence regarding the matter.

I guess what it boils down to is a fundamental concept of what Icecast is.
To me, it's a simple, free, and open source alternative to other non-free,
free but restrictred, etc streaming media servers.  Others believe, I think,
that it is really just a mechanism to boost the adoption of all the xiph
codecs.  This was evident from the very beginning when Jack Moffit added
support for mp3 back into icecast2 as a "transition path to vorbis" for
broadcasters.  I certainly do understand their points on the matter,
however, I do not share them.

oddsock