[Icecast] ICES with MP3Pro?

Ross Levis ross at stationplaylist.com
Thu Jun 1 00:38:07 UTC 2006

MP3Pro has already gone away as far as most people are concerned.  It is
definately not mainstream.  SAM and Live365's streamer are about the
only way to encode streams in this format, and very few players will
play it in hifi.

If Thompson is now giving away the encoder for free then they must know
it's dead and buried and no more money will be made from it.

Shoutcast banned MP3Pro streams from their YP directory a couple of
years ago, and the reason for this was to prevent the spreading of bad
audio quality for listeners.  Basically 1% of listeners would be
tecnically minded enough to know how to listen to an MP3Pro stream in
hifi, and 99% would be listening to the 22khz sample rate portion of the
mp3 stream, and not even realize that with some effort, and a change of
player software, they could listen in hifi.

SAM has AAC+ encoding in v4.0 beta which you can ask and receive now, so
I would suggest upgrading to that.  Or use our broadcasting software
(Windows only) which can use Oddcast to encode AAC+ streams.

Regards,
Ross
StationPlaylist.com
http://www.stationplaylist.com
Low-cost music scheduling, live assist & automation software for
radio broadcasting, internet streaming, & in-store music systems.