[Icecast] Monitor traffic/bandwidth by mountpoint

Thomas B. Ruecker dm8tbr at afthd.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Jul 27 21:49:19 UTC 2006

Shannon S. Coen wrote:
> Found this:
> http://bonehunter.rulez.org/~algernon/blog/2005/03/31/#munin_icecast
>

> Traffic monitoring by mountpoint like this ought to be built into
> icecast server.

No, I don't think so.

Icecast follows the unix philosophy of "one tool for one purpose".

So something like monitoring of listener statistics should be done using
one or more tools specialized in statistics and their analysis. In this
case it was munin with apparently an rrdtool backend.
I've been graphing Icecast listener statistics now for years using mrtg.
(I've some files online and also mentioned info on the mailinglist
before). In addition i use webalizer with streaming patches from time to
time if I need data mining of logfiles.

Cheers

Thomas

PS: What you refer to as traffic is what I call listener statistics.
Traffic is bandwith per time etc not number of listeners in my
understanding.