[Icecast] [Icecast-dev] metadata fallback mounts

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Thu Jan 19 14:11:29 UTC 2006

Geoff Shang wrote:
> Karl Heyes wrote:
>
>> To maintain consistency, no timing occurs on the fallback to file as
>> that requires parsing of all formats.
>

> hmmm, good point, but it obviously breaks fallback-override (as far as
> it's useful), and also could cause your outgoing bandwidth to be swamped.

It's not that fallback override breaks, but there may be lot of stream
data sent to that listener. There is a delay each time around the main
handler to limit busy looping.

> Suggestion: How about allowing the admin to configure a bitrate for the
> fallback file.  This would make it their responsibility to get it right,
> but would solve both of the above.

That is certainly possible, I was wondering about implementing such a
mechanism as a simple regulator but never got around to implementing it.

karl.