[Icecast] ffmpeg2theora icecast ubuntu edgy

Balint Jacint bjacint at kvark.hu
Wed Dec 13 13:03:59 UTC 2006

Hi,

I just wanna share with you my experience with theora ffmpeg2theora,
icecast2 and ubuntu edgy. I wanted to broadcast live video on an Ubuntu
machine with ffmpeg2theora, oggfwd and icecast2.
I read the thread
http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast/2005-February/008608.html about
the stream dying after a couple seconds with libshout 2.0.
Now the same happens if you use libshout3 v2.2 with Ubuntu edgy.
What solved the issue for me was to downgrade libshout to dapper version
(from 2.2 to 2.1). After downgrading, the stream just started working.

I'm sharing it here to get this issue to the public archives. I haven't
found anything about it on the net when I was trying to solve it. Some
additional keywords for the search engines:

WARN source/get_next_buffer Disconnecting source due to socket timeout
Source exiting
ffmpeg2theora hangs after a couple seconds
oggfwd hangs after a couple seconds
same applies to ezstream as well
ffmpeg2theora file.avi -x 320 -y 240 -V 150 -A 64 -o - --optimize |
oggfwd localhost 8000 password /test.ogg

Yours,
Jacint