[Icecast] Official Icecast`s protocol

logins7 logins7 at o2.pl
Sun Dec 10 15:40:16 UTC 2006

Hello,

I try to write application on the ARM microcontroler which has to receive
mp3 streams (from Icecast server), decode (I have already implemented mp3
decoder) and of course play them:). To be able to do it I need to get
official Icecast`s specification/description.

I only know that Icecast`s client-server communication is done by the HTTP
protocol. But unfortunately I do not know what exactly data (apart from
audio, of course;)), headers etc. are sent.
Could you explain me how making connection and exchanging data between
client and server (in both ways) are done? How do Icecast`s frames and
headers look (and how big there are), as well as what data follows? I have
to include all of above information in my MSc thesis, so I will be gratefull
for your help. Does something like official "Icecast stream protocol" exist?
If yes, how can I get it?

thanks for Your cooperation,
Greg