[Icecast] Icecast behind firewall

thermans at bowdoin.edu thermans at bowdoin.edu
Thu Aug 3 15:51:43 UTC 2006

Hey List!

I am in the process of moving an icecast2 server from a serve in an R&D lab to a virtual machine in the main server area.  The servers are both running Debian sarge and are configured identically for icecast minus the bind address and the hostnames.  When I try and start the icecast server, using the same init script and running the same version of icecast (2.3.1), the process simply doesn't start.  It prints nothing to stdout and nothing to the logfile.

The only real difference in the servers setups are that the new server is behind a firewall.  The firewall is open for the machine on ports 22, 80, 8000, and 8001.  I am setting up the icecast stream to run at port 8000.  Looking at nmap the only difference that seems to possibly being affecting icecast is that I do not have port 111 open for portmapping, because portmapping can not work with our firewall rules, I can however open more ports in advance if I know where they will be getting mapped to.

I can't seem to find any possible problems besides the port issues.

thanks in advance,
Tucker