[Icecast] Icecast 2.3.0 Release Annoucement
oddsock at oddsock.org
Fri Sep 23 14:36:48 PDT 2005
We are pleased to announce the next release of Icecast.
Downloads available at http://www.iceast.org/download.php (pending mirror
**** New features for 2.3.0 ****
- Streaming support for ogg speex, ogg flac, ogg midi
- intro file support - per mount settable
Intro files will play when a listener first connects to a stream. This
is designed for station jingles and the like. If you don't broadcast
in ogg vorbis, you must make sure the bitrate/samplerate/number of
channels match up to your stream.
- on-demand relays, global and per-relay settable
On demand relays only connect to the relayed content when there are
listeners attached to the relay. This can save bandwidth in certain cases.
- fallback to file, extends on the intro file handling.
With this feature, you can specify a "fallback file" which will be played
in a loop and sent your currently connected listeners in the event of a
source client disconnect. This means your listeners stay connected while
you fix your disconnect problem. Same rules regarding bitrate/samplerate/
number of channels apply as with intro files.
- new mount-level settings
1. public, type/subtype, genre settings, stream description,
stream url, stream name, bitrate (override what is sent from the source
2. mp3 metadata interval
3. on-[dis]connect scripts can be stated per-mount, invoked at source
start/stop and take 1 arg which is the mountpoint.
- New URL listener authenticator.
This delegates your listener authorization to an external application.
URL calls are made on listener connect/disconnect as well as source
connect/disconnect. It is meant for large broadcasters who have existing
authentication systems that need to be integrated into. Included is
an example php-based application that can be used in conjunction with
the url authenticator to manage a simple subscription-based broadcast.
- HTPasswd authenticator uses in-memory structures now.
- On demand files now can be fed through an authenticator
- Update to admin/web xslt interface
- Icecast can now be installed as a win32 service
**** Fixes for 2.3.0 ****
- real/helix works
- win32 access log correct
- stats client is stable now (curl -X STATS http://admin@host:port/)
- show mountpoints on stats that are inactive but have an active fallback
- more updates over HUP possible
- improved stability under heavy load
- moving clients will no longer sometimes deadlock the server
- avoid small writes to reduce TCP overhead.
Icecast Development Team...
More information about the Icecast