[Icecast] ices2 metadata update causes gaps

Paul Martin pm at nowster.zetnet.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 18:50:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 05:30:11PM +0200, Michael Smith wrote:

> > Assuming this is correct, the next question that arises is "Is Vorbis
> > when used this way truly gapless?"
>
> Yes, it is.

... and I can confirm this. No gaps were perceivable decoding in ogg123.

However, an interesting effect can be had if all the parts have the same
serial number. You get a bump just like with the ices2 metadata update.
ogg123 doesn't complain, but ogginfo does.

However, on the icecast2 streams, neither complains.

I've just taken a "savefile" from ices2. The bumps aren't happening.
It's got to be in icecast2!

Now, I know that the current version of icecast has fixes that make it
work with Helix (which would give up at stream boundaries). Perhaps it
fixes it. Off to grab the new version and test...

--
Paul Martin <pm at zetnet.net> (work)
  <pm at nowster.zetnet.co.uk> (home)