[Icecast] a few more questions...

Michael Hale giftculture at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 01:36:24 UTC 2005

On Aug 31, 2005, at 4:19 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> Our primary aim is to have excellent support for free formats
> (primarily, this means the xiph codecs - we'd be happy to help out
> with any other freely usable formats, though). As a concession to
> existing icecast users, we have basic mp3 support (basically we just
> pass it through untouched), and this mechanism works for some other
> codecs as well. However, we will not add explicit support for any
> other formats, nor will we support usage of icecast with other formats
> (i.e. if it breaks, you're entirely on your own). I don't know if WMA9
> requires explicit support or not.
>
> Mike

Frankly, the only reason that I'm even considering relaying WMA9 is
because a large number of listeners to the streams may not be all
that technically savvy and WMP comes with XP - I'd like to prevent
having to ask the users to download another player if preferable.  I
don't have very much experience with WMP 9 or WMP 10 etc.  Forgive me
if this is a silly question, but can they stream from mp3 audio
streams?  If so then I wouldn't have to worry about steaming WMA
format at all.
--
Michael Hale                <smiley at gift-culture.org>
gift culture:                http://www.gift-culture.org