[Icecast] Complete set of tools for Icecast

Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina mihamina.rakotomandimby at etu.univ-orleans.fr
Mon May 30 21:33:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 14:51 -0500, Geoff Staples wrote:
> We are switching from Windows Media to Icecast. I want to get as close
> to open source as possible.

Great. Do you also switch the operating system?

http://www.vorbis.com/software.psp

> We will also be podcasting, so that means our encoding needs to be
> compatible with the Apple iPod. Here's what it supports: MP3 (8 to 320
> Kbps), MP3 VBR, AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Music
> Store, M4A, M4B, M4P), Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4) and WAV (Some iPods
> also support AIFF)

Oups... no ogg....

> As best as I can tell, we'll have to encode ogg vorbis for broadcast and
> MP3 for the iPods - unless one of the formats supported by the iPod is
> Open Source.

Xiph softwares/tools, AFAIK, dont encode to mp3. Only to ogg.

> Also, I'd like to know anything you know about recording / encoding
> systems that are open source. The only one I am aware of at the moment
> is Audacity.

Ices2 cant encode On the fly to ogg from the line-in.
On modern linux system you can directly read from /dev/dsp, then
equalize with sox then encode to ogg. You can also optionally normalize
with normalize. All on the fly if you have enough CPU + RAM. And All in
command line.

--
Get a fully managed dedicated server for €200/month ($257/month)
No time limit for taking care of your server.