[icecast] Legality Issue & Relaying

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Thu May 12 21:38:39 UTC 2005

Michael Hobbs wrote:
> Hi All,

<snip>

> A question regarding this, can you use a single address (i.e
> as a link on a webpage) to balance the load between the various
> realys, or would you have to have separate addresses (similar to
> http/ftp mirrors)?
> I wonder if the former could be achieved with a "round-robin" set-up
> in the DNS server, whereby a single name resolves to different ip
> addresses sequentially, it would look something like this on the DNS
> server for example.com:
>
> mystation        0         IN         A        192.168.0.1
> mystation        0         IN         A        192.168.20.1
> mystation        0         IN         A         62.78.23.7

i guess you this is just an example... you are aware that the first 2
addresses are private and will not be reachable from the internet?

> Above ^ first request made to mystation.example.com would resolve to
> 192.168.0.1, second to 192.168.20.1, third to 62.78.23.7, forth to
> 192.168.0.1 - In my mind I think this would work, has anyone tried it,
> has anyone got a simpler solution perhaps?

this is called round-robin dns, and it's a common if crude way of load
balancing.

you might want to try karl's icecast branch. it supports a master-slave
setup where the master when full will tell a client to go a free slave
via a http redirect.

regards,

jörn