[Icecast] win media player prob

Leo Currie leo.currie at strath.ac.uk
Mon May 9 14:09:55 UTC 2005

un at dom.de wrote:
> what woukd be "the right" link on a website, so that ist works with
> most players? or is that question naiv? ...

I guess "the right" link is the one generated by Icecast, i.e.

	http://server:port/mount.m3u

This of course relys on your listeners' browser having a registered
handler for "audio/x-mpegurl" content, which is not always the case.

A pragmatic approach is to create playlist files for the all the popular
players, and let users choose, e.g. -

	http://www.radiosix.com/stream.mp3.ram
	http://www.radiosix.com/stream.mp3.asx
	http://www.radiosix.com/stream.mp3.pls

- All three reference the same stream, but have slightly different
syntax, and different MIME types. Unfortunately, you can't tell what the
browser is going to do with them (Realplayer might want to handle
everything...)

This link might be useful:
	http://gonze.com/playlists/playlist-format-survey.html

It would be interesting to know what everyone else is doing.

Leo