[Icecast] win media player prob

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Mon May 9 11:23:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 11:36, un at dom.de wrote:
> hi there,
>
> hope this question hasn't been asked 100 times... cannot access my mail
> archives at the moment, but have a problem to solve:
>
> windows media player buffers endless but doesn't start the (mp3-)stream.
> server is icecast2 with ices 0.4
>
> other player seem to be fine (mpg123, itunes, winamp, xmms ...)
> any idea what to do?
> thanks in advance,

Wherever there is a problem like this check the following things

Make sure the player has the codec for handling the stream, in the case
of MP3 it's usually ok, but there are exceptions.

Check the extension on the mountpoint. Some players use the extension to
determine which codec to use, so don't use say .ogg for an mp3 stream

Try with a burst size of 0, it fills up the pre-buffer more slowly as
the data is sent at normal speed.  I've heard mixed responses with this
so it may be a player version issue.

karl.