[Icecast] Metadata Swapping: How do they do it?

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Fri May 6 07:53:25 UTC 2005

Hi,

As long as you're talking about MP3 metadata, you've got to remember a few
things:

1.  MP3 metadata is a hack.

2.  MP3 metadata is a hack that was not designed by the Icecast people.
AFAIK, it was a shoutcast thing which means the standard such as it is has
already been set.

3.  MP3 metadata is a hack that not all players support, and since it's not
our hack, you're going to have to approach player developers directly about
support for it.

The stream title is sent upon connection to the stream.  Not only does this
mean it can't be changed, but it also means that because MP3 has no
chaining support, if you have two shows back-to-back without forcing a
reconnect,a show-specific title will stick from the first to the second.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <geoff at hitsandpieces.net>
Phone: +61-418-96-5590
MSN: geoff at acbradio.org

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html