[Icecast] Newby question

Arc arc at Xiph.org
Wed Mar 30 07:40:21 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 12:34:07AM -0700, Darrick Uwins wrote:
> Thanks for replying Arc. The main problem is that...i had someone test the
> link b4...it worked for me...but they got a download prompt? So she just
> downloaded it..
> That made me think that i needed to use ezstream to feed icecast...then
> ezstream could'nt find the playlist... will icecast stream by itself? Do i
> need to use ezstream?

If your friend accessed the .m3u and got a download link, then per local
system doesn't know what to do with a .m3u file.  Per should save it to
disk and open it as a playlist in a media player.

ezstream is a source client.  You only need it if you intend on
streaming a playlist with no live content.  This has nothing to do with
how a .m3u file is handled by the end user.

Now, if someone downloads your stream without a .m3u on the end they
will get a download prompt.  That is normal.  The fix is to stop it and
add a .m3u to the end of the Icecast filename on the receive side.  That
should take care of it :-)

--

Diversity is the Fuel of Evolution,
 Conformity it's Starvation.