[Icecast] Odd icecast hiccup problem with low-bandwidth cellular client

Nick Dunklee skuzz at skuzz.com
Mon Mar 28 03:39:38 UTC 2005

Here's a very odd question - I don't know if anybody can even begin to
answer.

I am attempting something very odd and geeky. I set up an icecast Win32
server streaming a 96kbps mp3 stream (using all the latest as of today
software, winamp, icecast2 and oddcast v3) so I can listen to it on my cell
phone while at work.

My phone does GPRS EDGE data at 131kbps-ish, just barely fast enough to keep
up.

I know 96kbps SHOULD work with this because Di.FM trance streams at 96kbps
and I can listen to that hours on end off my cell phone connection and it
plays smooth....my own connection however isn't working so good.

When my phone connects all it does is hiccup and skip and then some,
occasionally reconnecting altogether, and just not playing smoothly.

I noticed di.fm uses shoutcast, so I tried a shoutcast server instead, but
it hiccups the same.

I am convinced my problem somehow has to do with the way icecast is
prebuffering. The current limits section of my config looks like this:
    <limits>
	<clients>4</clients>
        <sources>2</sources>
        <threadpool>5</threadpool>
        <queue-size>2097120</queue-size>
        <client-timeout>120</client-timeout>
        <header-timeout>120</header-timeout>
        <source-timeout>10</source-timeout>
        <burst-on-connect>1</burst-on-connect>
        <burst-size>131072</burst-size>
    </limits>

I've tried turning off burst-on-connect, tried making it 512k, tried making
it tiny... I extended my timeouts to handle the lagginess of the celluar
packet data, without those settings being as such the server would kick the
phone off before even finishing connection.

I'm tearing my hair out here, I've tried everything, researched all over
several icecast config docs, mailing lists, google, etc., etc., etc. nobody
seems to have any problem even remotely close to mine and I really don't
know what to do...are there any undocumented configuration options for the
icecast server like tweaking how often metadata gets muxed into the mp3
stream?

I'm willing to try anything!

Oh, and it does stream to computers both within my LAN and externally across
the internet just fine, its just my cellular packet data connection giving
me issues. I'll connect to di.fm trance, it works fine, then mine, and it
hiccups, so i know it's not network congestion issues on the cellular end.

Just want to listen to my library at work! arrrr!

Thanks in advance!

Nick