[Icecast] icecast on an Intel XScale ARM processor

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 02:29:15 UTC 2005

n Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:52:11 -0700, Carl Madison
<carl.madison at coloradovnet.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I am trying to get icecast running on a ARM processor. I have managed to
> cross compile all of the required libraries (libxml2, libxslt, libogg,
> libvorbis, etc.). However I am bumping up against a problem that I can't
> find any info on. Here is the generated output from the icecast build.  I
> was wondering if any of you has seen this and knows of a fix. I apologize if
> the problem is obvious and I am blind.

>  /opt/Embedix/tools/arm-linux/bin/ld: Error: _ashldi3.o uses hard floating
> point, whereas icecast uses soft floating point

Your problems probably stem from this. You're using a libgcc built for
hard-fp (I don't imagine your processor supports that, so this is
wrong to begin with), but (correctly) compiling icecast for soft-fp.

>  File format not recognized: failed to merge target specific data of file
> /opt/Embedix/tools/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linux/2.95.2/libgcc.a(_ashldi3.o)

You're using a positively _antique_ version of gcc, so the first step
is to upgrade to something from this century :-)

You may well need upgraded binutils too.

I'm not sure why the dwarf errors are happening. Most likely, they'll
go away with up-to-date gcc and binutils.

Mike