[Icecast] vorbis ogg vs. aac

Ross Levis ross at stationplaylist.com
Wed Mar 9 03:11:19 UTC 2005

Standard AAC is on a par with Ogg Vorbis in my opinion, but it depends
what type of encoder you are using as there are several.  The only
"free" encoder I know of doesn't use all the AAC techniques to provide
the best sound quality and is worse than OV.

The thread I started the other day was about AACPlus and not AAC.
AACPlus provides much improved sound quality over standard AAC, and OV
unfortunately.

But based on Monty's comments, he may be (hopefully!) re-directing his
attention back to Vorbis for a while and OV will eventually regain the
lead in the sound quality versus bitrate wars.

Regards,
Ross.