[Icecast] any smart archiving examples

Matt Boersma matt at sprout.org
Mon Mar 7 16:12:08 UTC 2005

On Sun, March 6, 2005 3:10 pm, Steven Clift said:

> Is anyone out there particularly proud of their system for automated
> archiving of live webcasts via Icecast? Zip me your URL and what tools
> you used:

Steve,

I wouldn't say I'm particularly proud of it, but at
KGNU (http://www.kgnu.org/) we use icecast 2.2.0 and
do automatic archives in a simple way.

We use a command-line web client (curl in our case) to
connect to the audio stream as just another listener.
To ensure that we don't get "server full," I created a
separate mountpoint that is just a local relay of the
main audio stream, and password-protected it.  The curl
command-line tool lets you specify both username and
password as well as the number of seconds to stay
connected, and also to capture the HTTP body to disk.
I wrapped those parameters in a simple shell script
that also accepts a program title to use for the filename,
and appends the current date and time before the filename
extension.

So it's something like:
capture_stream 7200 Democracy%20Now
from the command line.

Then I schedule all the significant programs we want to
capture by calling capture_stream from cron.

This is simple and reliable if you're on a UNIX-like
platform.  I'm sure there are other solutions.

Matt