[Icecast] Re: [Vorbis] AACplus

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Mar 6 10:44:04 UTC 2005

> Have you had a chance to try out aoTuv B3 yet?  As far as I can remember,
> aoTuV's quality -2 sounds like quality -1 in Vorbis 1.0, but at
> considerably lower bitrates.

Yes, including cursory analysis.  In the previous versions, Aoyumi
mostly tightened up the parameters of existing libvorbis (as well as
adding a HF slugger that mostly was a quick hack).  In AoTuV b3, his
work is much more original and 'moving forward'.  There's some very
nice temporal analysis and shaping going on that's beyond anything
I've done, and I'm pouring over it in detal with the time I have; i
think this version's going to teach the old dog a few new tricks.

His -q-2 isn't *quite* as good as current -q-1, but it's close and has
consistent/reliable behavior.  Make no mistake, AoTuV b3 is once again
a solid, noticable improvement over the stock libvorbis.

Monty