[Icecast] ogg

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 00:03:06 UTC 2005

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 21:59:17 -0200, ZONA <carlos at zonacharrua.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I am a new user of icecast, and I was wondering, wich source software, gives
> the option of compressing to low bitrates an ogg stream (lower than 48
> kbps).

Most or all source clients that support ogg vorbis (I assume that's
what you meant - ogg is just a container format that can contain any
sort of media. Vorbis is the audio codec) can encode to any bitrate
supported by the vorbis encoder - which will allow you to get to very
low bitrates.

You'll probably need to resample the data though, if it's 44.1kHz
stereo. Most source clients have an option to do this - ices2 does,
for example. You might also want to use only mono, rather than stereo
(again, ices2 does this for you, if you configure it to).

Mike