[Icecast] Things I would like to see.

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 15:40:47 UTC 2005

On 6/24/05, Jason <Jason at weatherserver.net> wrote:
> For the future if possible i'd like to see a couple of things in icecast.
>
> 1) being able to create/edit/delete static mount points from the web
> interface without neededing to edit the config file and restarting the
> server from a shell account.  Like you can do right now with usernames and
> passwords
>
> 2) Be able to create/edit/delete relays from web interface (same as above)
>
> I don't know if these are possible or not but I figured I would toss them
> out there.

We don't allow this sort of thing because of potential security
concerns (the admin interface all runs in clear-text, no encryption at
all); anything that can cause the creation of files on the server
requires editing the config file. This stuff does NOT require
restarting the server, however - you just need to send a SIGHUP to
tell icecast to reread the config file.

I think relays should be safe to add/edit/delete, but how useful is
that? You'd need to re-add them every time the server was restarted or
the config file reread (anything causing the config file to be
rewritten from the admin interface is not an option, unless someone
adds SSL support to icecast). How often do people add temporary
relays?

Mike