[Icecast] How to reach listeners behind corporate firewall

_+icecast at sucs.org _+icecast at sucs.org
Sun Jun 5 21:00:53 UTC 2005

Ron Blok wrote:
> Hi fellow icecast users,
>
> I get more an d more complaints from listeners who are trying to listen to
> our stream behind a firewall.
> It seams that more and more companies block port 8000 in their firewalls.
>
> Is there a solution for these cases ? I have somewhere read something about
> streaming on port 80 instead of 8000.
> Is this the solution ? Or ???

You can tell icecast to bind to port 80 instead of 8000, but this may
require root privileges.

Or just use a D-NAT rule in what ever firewall your using..

I use the following rule for iptables/netfilter

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p TCP --dport 80 -j DNAT --to
127.0.0.1:8000

This has the effect of making it appear to the outside world that
icecast is listening on both 80 and 8000, and is going to be a lot
cheaper in terms of resources than proxying the connection.

--
Chris Jones, SUCS Admin
http://sucs.org/