[Icecast] icecast sound compressor

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Sat Jun 4 15:04:37 UTC 2005

Hi,

It's going to depend a bit on what format you're going to use.

If you plan to stream in ogg vorbis, you can use Ices 2.x and accept PCM
via standard input.  This means you could run a sox effect or ecasound to
get and compress the sound from the soundcard before sending it on to ices.
Ecasound can make use of LADSPA plugins which opens you to a range of
compressors, such as the SWH compressor plugins which I'm told are pretty
good.

If you want to do MP3 then I don't have any good ideas so far.  Darkice
doesn't allow either receiving from standard input or inserting processing
(i.e. starting a subprocess which it sends audio to and receives audio back
from), either of which would be useful functions, and I don't know if Ices
0.x can accept PCM via stdin either.

I'd be interested to know how you go.  I've not looked at the sox
compression effects lately so they might do the job, don't know.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <geoff at hitsandpieces.net>
Phone: +61-418-96-5590
MSN: geoff at acbradio.org

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html