[Icecast] streaming non-MP3 formats

Bruno Batista cuby at vizzavi.pt
Fri Jul 15 10:30:29 UTC 2005

hi!
this is very interesting... even yesterday I was thinking if there's a
way to stream uncompressed audio...
one of the problems with high compression is delay. for example, when
you make a radio broadcasting, you cannot easily use a stream to relay
live programs in remote locations, because the time lag between speech
and return signal from the rf transmitter drives everyone crazy. for a
cheap system (without local return), I was thinking about streaming raw
pcm (.wav) using wireless hotspots for the signal relay...
so... this has practical interest.
bye
Bruno

ps: usually we use ISDN connection with professional equipment in each
side of the line, streaming mp3... with delay, but even for one day the
telecom company charges a minimum 212.02 euros + communications. that sucks!