[Icecast] Re: solution for YP problem

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Tue Jul 26 00:27:07 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 00:59, mark burdett wrote:
> > The directory handler itself serialises the updates so the number of
> > mounts shouldn't matter directly however if long timeouts trigger with
> > many stream details then the touch updates may not get around quickly
> > enough.
>
> if they are serialized and the posts happen one after the
> other for each mount, and each one takes 8 seconds, then with
> 30 mounts that's 4 minutes.  that might be too long; the YP
> might expect updates every 2 minutes.

I believe the removal is 5 mins currently, but yes the current access is
becoming 8 or more seconds, as I said that needs looking into, I don't
think the setup is optimal.

> could updates for multiple YP directories happen in parallel,
> so if one YP directory is slow, that won't prevent other YPs
> from being touched?

we could serialise on just each directory server, that would isolate a
problem server. something to look into later, so can you report this on
trac.xiph.org so that it doesn't get forgotten?

karl.