[Icecast] Shoutcast YP/WinAmp Directory Listing

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Fri Jul 15 19:16:50 UTC 2005

 From a technical standpoint, we could make this happen, however :

1. the Shoutcast listing protocol is completely different from the Icecast
one, and so we'd have to code it and maintain it.
2. (more importantly) Shoutcast has, in the past, banned all non-shoutcast
stations (and yes, even specifically icecast stations) from their
directory.  They've explicitly stated they don't want icecast stations in
their directory, so we respect that and do not try to subvert the process.

Their rationale ? They say that listener counts are too easily faked
(certainly true) and thus they cannot rely on the listener counts being
correct.  It's kind of an empty argument since it's fairly trivial to fake
the shoutcast listener counts too..but hey, who am I to judge :)

Why can Steamcast list on shoutcast ? Who knows.. I think Jay reads this
list, perhaps he can chime in....

oddsock