[Icecast] I can listen to a stream locally but not from anywhereelse.

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Mon Jan 31 18:11:54 UTC 2005

Yep.  Listening to an ogg icecast stream on a mac seems to be in a sad
state.  qtcomponents just doesn't work for streams.  It would be great
if it did.  That would make everyone happy I'm sure.  VLC will play ogg
streams, but the audio quality I've found to be horrible.  It gets
clicks and pops, It seems to play back the audio at a different speed,
changing the pitch.  And then it tries to resample or something to
correct it.  Anyway, it's unacceptable.  Audion seems to work pretty
well, but it's an abandoned project.  Whamb is in similar shoes.  While
they don't admit to being abandoned, the last release was years ago.
And MacAmp Lite also admits to being abandoned.  Nothing is ideal.

Joel