[Icecast] I can listen to a stream locally but not from anywhere else.

Brian Beck brian at malvernconsulting.com
Mon Jan 31 16:46:00 UTC 2005

>This seems like you haven't set the <hostname> correctly in the icecast
>config

That is the problem for external connects...thanks.

the .m3u contains "http://192.168.5.33:8000/ices.ogg"

which is actually fine for my purposes since I'm not looking
to make this a public stream (I'll just be using it for tunes
at work (via VPN), eventually streaming a live feed from an
XM radio at home).

I've got some more information now after running ethereal:

Itunes in windows will connect and buffer then stop receiving the stream.
Winamp on the same machine will continue accpeting the stream but plays
nothing.
I'm using 128k stereo oggs.