[Icecast]client connections seems high

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 00:36:11 UTC 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:11:08 -0500, Joel Ebel <jbebel at ncsu.edu> wrote:

> >   - icecast version (and what platform you're running it on)
> Icecast 2.2.0 running on Slackware Linux 10.0
>
> >   - icecast config file (with passwords blanked out, of course)
> Config file is attached
>
> >   - description of _precisely_ what figure you're looking at that's
> > 113 off, and where you found that number.
> I've attached a stats.xml which I got from my icecast server as I was
> typing this email.  At the top you see "<clients>131</clients>"  Under
> the sources below there is a <listener> value for each.  The non-zero
> values of these are 3, 4, 1, 2, and 8.  The sum of which is 18.  131 -
> 18 = 113.  Every time I look at this, the listeners is different, but
> their sum is always 113 less than the value of <clients>.  When I first
> started the server, this wasn't true.  The sum of the <listeners> was
> equal to <clients>.  At some point it changed.  In any case, as you can
> see in my icecast.xml, <clients> is set to 100, so I feel like the
> <clents> is stats.xml shouldn't exceed it, but it does.

I suspect this is just a stats bug. The stats are tracked
independently from the actual core datastructures that determine how
many current listeners there are, how many are allowed, etc. So though
this might be a little annoying, it doesn't look critical.

There's probably some case somewhere that can cause a connection to
counted, but the corresponding disconnection to not be counted.

We'll look into it.

Mike