[Icecast]client connections seems high

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 22:54:58 UTC 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:19:08 -0500, Joel Ebel <jbebel at ncsu.edu> wrote:
> I asked this questions before, but I think it got lost/ignored in all
> the traffic.  So I'm asking it again.
>
> Why would my clients number always be 113 larger than my number of
> listeners?  It was right earlier today, but when I restarted the sources
> it increased by 113, and it has stayed that high since then.  I find it
> especially odd since I have clients set to 100 in icecast.xml, and this
> constantly exceeds it.
>
> Where does this number come from, and what does it mean if it isn't the
> sum of the clients for each stream?  I know it should include static
> content as well, but I don't have 113 clients constantly downloading
> static content.  And why is it allowed to exceed my max clients anyway?
>
> I actually asked another question too, but I think I'll ask one at a
> time this time so it's more likely to get noticed.
>
> Joel

That's very strange. I've never seen that behaviour. Perhaps you could
give some more detailed explanations of how you've got things set up?

At a minimum:
  - icecast version (and what platform you're running it on)
  - icecast config file (with passwords blanked out, of course)
  - description of _precisely_ what figure you're looking at that's
113 off, and where you found that number.
  - description of what sources you have connected, etc.

Mike