[Icecast] ices config problems

klaus thorn klaus at trillke.net
Fri Jan 7 00:08:15 UTC 2005

*** the following config:
        <input>
            <module>playlist</module>
            <param name="type">script</param>
            <param name="file">/radio/getnextsongpath</param>
        </input>
gets me:

Could not find a valid playlist file.
Ices Exiting...

*** the following header of the config file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ices>

gets me:

XML Parser: Document of invalid type, no ices namespace found

note that this is the header of your distirbuted config files from ices-2.0.0/conf/

*** the following header(from an unoffical ices help page):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ic:root xmlns:ic="http://url.des.namespaces">
<ices>

gets me:

/etc/ices.xml:94: parser error : Premature end of data in tag root line 2
^
XML Parser: Error while parsing /etc/ices.xml

*** also this header...

<ices:ices xmlns:ices="http://url.des.namespaces">

*** Even with ices -v
I do not see which config file is opened so I even do not know
whether I'm editing the right file

strace shows that the right file is opened

*** with google I found a completly different config file format
which should be at:
http://svn.xiph.org/icecast/branches/ices0/ices-libshout_2/doc/icesmanual.html
the request for that file never ends......
but there is google's cache! phew!

with this *OTHER* format containig the header:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ices:Configuration xmlns:ices="http://www.icecast.org/projects/ices">
<ices:Playlist>

the error is gone

*** back to using playlist script:

            <ices:Playlist>
                <ices:Type>script</ices:Type>
                <ices:Module>/radio/getnextsongpath</ices:Module>

produces:

DEBUG: Initializing playlist handler...
DEBUG: Initializing builting playlist handler...
Could not find a valid playlist file.
Ices Exiting...

and this:

            <ices:Playlist>
                <ices:Type>python</ices:Type>
                <ices:Module>myown</ices:Module>

produces:

Initialization of playlist handler failed. [This binary has no support for embedded python]
Ices Exiting...

:-(

ices 2.0.0 = ices alpha release,
with misleading documentation+example config,
and missing core feature
klaus thorn     klaus at trillke.net