[Icecast] OpenSource Nicecast project - anyone interested?

Graham Pople grahampople at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 2 23:57:23 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I'm a newcomer to this list, but I thought people may be interested in my
current project, an open-source equivalent of Nicecast.  It's intended to
let you stream live audio over your home network, and is currently working
nicely between my Powerbook and Linux PC.  It works by using the Soundflower
dummy audio driver to grab all audio from the Powerbook, then my program
uses CoreAudio to record and convert this to PCM, before sending it to
ices2, which encodes the stream to Vorbis and sends this to my local icecast
server.  I want to streamline this whole process further, hopefully removing
Soundflower and ices2 from the equation.

It's really hacky code at the moment, as it started life as a simple utility
for my own purposes,  but it seems that other people may want to do the same
thing.  This is really just a quick poll to see if enough people are
interested to make it worth setting up a website and CVS access for the
project, so please let me know if you are.

Cheers,

Graham