[Icecast] YP listings - how, why, where...

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Sun Jan 2 18:16:01 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 18:01, Dan Stowell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My icecast2 config file includes
>
> <directory>
>   <yp-url>http://www.oddsock.org/cgi-bin/yp-cgi</yp-url>
> </directory>

> but when I go to the oddsock YP, I can't find our stream anywhere. Am
> I doing something wrong, or is something more needed in the config?

The first thing to check is the error.log, that will log any attempts to
list on the provided YP servers. If YP has not been compiled in then you
should see a log message about that as well.

> Thanks in advance. I'd also be grateful if you'd clarify which YP I
> *should* be using! Does it make any difference? Is there one really
> popular one? Is there one specifically for the UK?

You can use whichever YP server you want, we list the main ones in the
example files. dir.xiph.org is the icecast directory though.

There is no geographically specific YP afaik, but that doesn't stop you
from setting one up.

karl.