[Icecast] Re: New to icecast2, few questions

Dan Stowell danstowell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 09:40:56 UTC 2005

[Forwarding to the list - mistakenly replied directly to Kevin only]

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:44:03 -0500 (EST), Kevin S. Brackett
<ksb at platypusgroup.com> wrote:

> >> Just sending a normal m3u stream. it's strange because if I kill the
> >> stream, quicktime will start playing it.. infinite buffer.
> >
> > m3u isn't a stream format, it's a playlist format, often used by web
> > browsers to kick off your player.  Icecast can generate an m3u which
> > will list the stream in question but whether quicktime will know how to
> > decode that stream will depend on the installation of your player.
>
> Well, I meant mp3s served by the icecast m3u mount... The fact that
> quicktime buffers while the source is active but play after the source has
> been dropped is what confuses me the most...

Kevin - this is precisely what Quicktime does if you feed it the MP3
stream direct, rather than giving it the M3U telling it to stream the
MP3. Are you sure you're giving quicktime the M3U? You need to mount a
stream at (for example) /blonky and then get quicktime to call
/blonky.m3u , meaning that icecast automatically generates the
playlist file.

One possible cause of the problem would be if you actually mounted
your MP3 stream as /blonky.m3u, which would serve it as an MP3 stream
regardless of the "file extension" on the stream name. (And if this is
what has happened, then you might find /blonky.m3u.m3u is the URL you
should call!)

Dan

--
http://www.mcld.co.uk