[Icecast] Problem with Metatag update

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Wed Feb 23 23:46:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 12:12, Mathias Berger wrote:

> But I have some troubles with the metatag update via the admininterface.
> Basically everything works fine, but only WinAmp is displaying the
> titles correct. Windows Media Player isn't displaying them at all, XMMS
> only displays them when the ID3 tag changes for about 3 seconds and
> iTunes, well, it depends. On some computers iTunes diplays the titles on
> others it doesn't.

ID3 tags don't apply to streams, although a source client may use ID3
tags to insert song information into the stream.

The song info that you are referring to for mp3 works by inserting 1 or
more bytes every so often in the stream, effectively breaking the mp3
spec.  Because the spec gets broken, it's upto the client to inform
icecast that it can handle it.  It looks like media player doesn't, and
the likes xmms and winamp can disable it via check boxes.

> Is this a general problem or am I doing something wrong ?

It's a general issue for mp3, not really a problem though, the mp3 spec
just didn't allow for it.

karl.