[Icecast] RE: Two questions

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 09:33:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:56:32 +0200, Mohamed Eldesoky
<eldesoky.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:55:46 -0800 (PST), Karl Heyes <karl at xiph.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 21:29, Murray Saul wrote:
> > > I am happy using icecast/ices, but have two questions:
> > >
> > > 1. If I was using cron to schedule a switching of a playlist,  can I do
> > > this without restarting icecast so that at a SPECIFIC TIME (let's say at
> > > exactly 3:00 pm) a new song can be played without interupting the user
> > > listening to the broadcast.
> >
> > ices can be signalled to skip to the next track (which will mean a
> > reread of the playlist if it has changed)
> >

> I tried it, it doesn't just reread !!
> You have to stop and start ices !!!

Ices2 (if that's still what we're talking about) can and will reread a
playlist file if it has changed.

Note that it recognises a file as "changed" if (and only if) the
modification time changes - so if you're using some tool that's
deliberately avoiding changing that (which seems unlikely), it won't
notice.

If you still can't get it to recognise a changed playlist file, let us
know, with lots of extra details (such as your config file, with the
passwords stripped out, and what exact version you're using).

Mike