[Icecast] buffering loop without without extension

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 00:44:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 01:23:12 +0100, rama <medialist at xicnet.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> I'm trying an ogg stream which doesn't seem to work at least on my xmms
> if I don't use  the .ogg extension for it.
>
> xmms runs into an eternal buffering loop, restarting just upon finishing
> fill up.

As the documentation states (and I think icecast logs a warning if you
do this ignoring the documentation), many common clients have a
serious bug in their HTTP handling that means they don't work unless
the URL ends with ".ogg".

xmms is one such client. Either add the extension, or don't use xmms.

Mike